Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Space Dough and Geocaching




Last night I discovered Geocaching for the first time!  I know right!?!  I had heard the word before but never investigated far enough to figure out what it was.  

Of course I could not wait to try it especially when I saw there were 7 within a mile of our house.  So we mapped a course with the geocaching.com app, packed a lunch, and decided on the goodies we wanted to leave behind!  

Since it was space week we decided why not take our space dough to leave behind.  This idea originally came from Fairy Dust Teaching but I've changed up the recipe just a tad.  


1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 TB vegetable oil
1 cup water


Mix all ingredients together


Stir


Put in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes


Stop half way through and stir (the best you can)


Remove and put on cutting board to cool


Knead


I divided mine up in to thirds since I need some in other colors for another activity this week.  


I added purple and silver glitter and black food coloring.  


I don't have gloves at my house so I mixed inside a grocery bag.


It looked a little green so I added more black. 


Perfect!





Evin played with it a lot before we headed out on our journey!  




Evin found the first cache while yelling "Treasure! Treasure!" 

  


The views along out second hike were great.  


This one almost had us giving up!


But after Nicole found it Evin retrieved it!


Everytime we opened one Evin would say "ooh, ooh, wow, wow!" 




We also met a horse along our journey!


This one was in a gorgeous park near our house!



We did get stumped by one, this is Evin looking for it!


Once we got back we lined up all the treasures we found....our new mission: to make our own and to leave behind some REALLY cool stuff!



Geocache wrap up: 
good exercise 
4 miles round trip
2 parks
5 found it caches
1 didn't find it cache
great views
awesome space dough for the next cachers



No comments:

Post a Comment