Friday, January 18, 2013

Dinosaur Week

Monday: We decorated the house with our dinosaur footprints.  We tried playing the bigger or smaller game and that lasted all of two seconds, then we tried hopping and stepping on the footprints.  I had a lot of fun but Evin was off playing with some cars or something.....It's okay not every plan is brilliant.....



Tuesday: I made some of our favorite Jello Playdough, and made dinosaur tracks through it....We had to watch Mudflap, he had his eye on the dough!


We also made our dinosaur sensory box, we used our left over moon sand.  This was his least favorite sensory box....though I still have no idea why.  I think maybe if the sand wouldn't have been hardened he would have loved making a mess with that.  


I got this cool excavation kit at Hobby Lobby for $8.99 (40% off with the mobile coupon).  He didn't get it at first we had to do a lot of work to get it started, but he got in to it!

He learned how the tools worked. 
We put the triceratops together and he's still together today!  WHAT!?!

We also found out today that the bank made a major error and put us in to a loan product that we didn't actually qualify for since we were using gift funds for our down payment.  I spent the day yelling at three different people to stop talking to me about my "FILE" and start talking to me about my money, my life, my home, and the place where my baby was going to sleep.  I may have even threatened letting a tiger loose in someone's office......We got no where......

Wednesday: We got a giant piece of poster board and cut out a dinosaur foot.  First Nicole and Evin just spent time deciding who's foot was bigger and smaller.....not that fun.  


Then they went outside to make some footprints.  Putting your foot in paint is very UN-FUN.  You have to scream about it a lot.  However making footprints....not terrible.  

There might even be a smile here.  


Today the bank decided that I could liquidate my retirement Roth IRA account, use that money for the down payment and then take the money (same amount) that is currently in my checking account (this was a gift) and put that back in to my Roth IRA account to use as my "reserves and assets".  Thank you government for making sure banks don't do stupid things anymore.  These new regulations are really helping the people that need it.......

Thursday: Volcano day!  Super simple old school volcano, baking soda with food coloring.   


This was pretty awesome!  We did a lot of oh yeah!  Woohoo! Yee yee! 
We used two bottles of vinegar and found out that apple cider vinegar works too!

We also got our play dough back out and hid the dinosaurs inside....apparently you have to be very quiet when you are excavating dinosaurs.  



Auntie Nicole had a very fun idea for his bath and she used a jello egg mold from easter to freeze dinosaur eggs.  He had a great time picking them out of the nest and lining them up on the ledge of the tub.  


It was even more fun to line them up after they "hatched" in the warm water.  We really wanted to go to the Museum of nature and Science or Dinosaur Ridge this week but it was pretty much the most hectic week....EVER.  On this day our landlord stopped by to take pictures of the house to post on the internet.  


We haven't had the best relationship with her so we were pretty nervous, we spent quite a bit of time cleaning and then re-cleaning.  We also found out 70% good news about our house after the bank's error but at this point until we have keys in hand, none of use are eating or sleeping much.  She also seemed as if she wasn't going to be very kind if it came down to the deal with the house falling through....I reassured that family that if we were living in a box on the side of the street, it would be the coolest box fort ever!


Friday: Today we made fossils.  Great idea from I can teach my child!  Our favorite part was dumping at pouring the ingredients in.  

1 cup used coffee grounds 
1/2 cup coffee
1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour

Mix and then press your dinosaurs in to them to make impressions.  Let them dry overnight or bake them on low heat until hardened.  


Now we get to wait three more days....thank you Martin Luther King Day, to find out what our next house hurdle is going to be!  URGH!!!!

Links to files: 
(There's a lot of activities we didn't do, you'll notice there will start to be less crafts on this blog.....tired of doing them myself....)


No comments:

Post a Comment