Thursday, December 13, 2012

Single Serving Pies

So as I mentioned earlier this is a pirated recipe.  Since my life is chaos I rarely have an idea of my own.  I'll let you know if that ever happens.  Instead I strive to figure out how to make other people's great ideas work for me.....so here it goes!

If you want to see the original check out the girls at Our Best Bites.  If you want to know how to do it in a pinch....stick around.

I found these tiny mason jars at the grocery store in the canning section.  $9.99 for 12.  Not too bad.

I don't have the time or the skill to make my own pie crust so I have used two different options.

#1) The Pillsbury Doughboy himself and his seamless dough sheets (on sale $1.88)
#2) Jiffy pie crust in a box.....man I love stuff that comes out of a box and at $.89 you really can't beat it.

Whichever you choose roll it out on a floured surface and cut a long strip, estimate how much you'll need to line the inside of your jars.  Then use your jars to cut out round shapes for the tops of your pies.

Once you line your jars with dough/crust, then its time for filling.  I didn't get to crazy with the filling, but I made both apple and peach and almost bought canned filling but decided to challenge myself.


#1) Apple filling: Cube apples in 1/4" cubes, add a little bit of flour, a little bit of brown sugar, and a little bit of cinnamon. Voila!


#2) Peach filling: cut up canned peaches in to 1/4" chunks, add a little bit of flour, a little bit of brown sugar, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Done!


Next I used Our Best Bites crumb topping recipe verbatim:

Crumb Topping (for 4-6 pies)1/4C brown sugar
1/4 C flour
2 Tbs oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbs cold butter
Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter. Add oats and stir to combine.

(I didn't know what cut in butter meant so I just mixed it in there with everything else...that's right I'm not a cook!)

I used a $.50 cookie cutter from michaels to vent the top on most of them and then I got crazy with this criss cross pattern for the rest.  

I put my crumb topping under my pie tops, just because I can.  

Then I threw them in the freezer!  Done and done. 

Well I had to taste test, so I took the lid off, set two of them on a baking sheet and turned on the oven, that's right forget pre-heating, who has time for that?   

I started the oven at 375 degrees but noticed the tops were getting very done very fast so I cranked it down to 300 and left them in at 300 for about 50 minutes or until they looked golden brown.  

You might notice I don't do very well with cooking times and measuring...makes my husband crazy, but I don't have time for that stuff.  

After a few minutes of cooling I dumped them in to a dish and enjoyed.  The crust was very light and fluffy and I though they were delicious.  I am also proud to say that no pies fell victim to the great dane bellies, which can usually be the case.



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment